The Excellent Minds Essay Competition is a brainchild of the Excellent Minds Social and Youth Empowerment Initiative.
Over the years, the Excellent Minds Essay Competition has been conducted across Nigerian Universities. Since its official launch, it has inspired innovative and high-impact student projects and ideas aimed at solving Nigeria’s most pressing problems.
It is an annual essay competition for undergraduate students in tertiary institutions. The competition is aimed at promoting critical thinking, harnessing ideas, and developing the talents, abilities, gifts, and skills inherent in the African youth.
This year and onwards, the competition is expanding to tertiary institutions across West Africa, focusing on developmental issues associated with the region. The competition theme for this year’s edition is Partnership for Sustainable Development in West Africa.
Collaboration has become a necessary tool for the growth and advancement of the West African region. With the establishment of ECOWAS, the African Union, the African Development Bank, Africa Export-Import Bank, and more importantly, the emergence of the African Continental Free Trade Area Agreement, the region is set to experience significant development through the trade sector.
As much as these institutions and their initiatives support and promise development, it is unfortunate that most of the anticipated development is still largely theoretical. Also, West African nations have a duty to their region, which should not negatively affect their commitment to other African regions. Please suggest practical and feasible collaborative steps that West African countries can take to stimulate growth and economic development in the region.
Essay Topic and Instructions
Topic: Patnership for Sustainable Development in West Africa.
- In not more than 1000 words, identify and describe some of the major challenges facing West Africa, and propose collaborative solutions for West African countries. These solutions should not negatively affect their commitments to other African nations.
- Use 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font, 1.5-line spacing, and include page numbers.
- The word count does not include your cover page and references.
- All entries must be in English
Please note that our adjudicators take plagiarism very seriously. If you are caught plagiarising, you will be disqualified from the competition.
Duration and Reward
- All stages, save the grand finale, will be held virtually. The grand finale will be held in a physical location in Lagos, Nigeria.
- The timeline for the competition is five months, from 5 March 2022 through 29 July 2022.
- First Prize: Apple iPad and a Plaque
- Second Prize: Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite and a Plaque
- Third Prize: Kindle 6” Wi-Fi eBook Reader [10th Gen] and a Plaque
The top 5 essays will also be published on our website for unrestricted access by the online community.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should click on the button below to commence their application.
- 5 May 2022: Submission deadline
- 30 May 2022: Shortlisted semi-finalists notified
- 6 June 2022 – 17 June 2022: Phone interviews
- 30 June 2022: Shortlisted finalists notified
- 29 July 2022: 3-minute essay finals (3MEF) and Award Ceremony