The West African Research Association (WARA), in collaboration with the Mastercard Foundation, is pleased to announce support for young West African scholars through its Mastercard Ideas Matter Fellowship Program.
This program reflects our joint commitment to increasing opportunities for emerging West African scholars, people who are transforming ideas into active solutions to the challenges facing not only the region, but also throughout the globe.
The Mastercard Ideas Matter Fellowship Program is offered by WARA in partnership with The MasterCard Foundation. The USD$4,000 grants will allow recipients to solve some of the most trenchant health and economic challenges facing Africa today.
This competition is open to West African citizens who are currently enrolled in graduate programs at institutions of higher education in the United States. (West African citizens with U.S. citizenship are not eligible.)
Priority will be given to applicants who are at the pre-dissertation stage and who demonstrate financial need.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The Mastercard Ideas Matter Fellowship-US program will award one pre-doctoral grant of $4,000 for travel to West Africa to conduct research.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Abstract (50-80 words)
- Proposal (6 pages – double spaced)
- Resume or CV
- Itemized budget (including estimated costs for housing, food, travel, equipment, printing/photocopying, and institutional affiliation fees)
- Graduate transcripts (Scan and upload official transcripts)
- Three letters of reference signed by the recommender.
- Statement explaining how your research will contribute to meeting critical needs on the continent
The proposal statement should describe the concept, methodology and the significance of the proposed research project to the applicant’s academic field, and how this research contributes to the objective of the Ideas Matter Fellowship. The language should be understandable to non-specialist readers.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should click the button below to commence their application.