The Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR) in collaboration with NIMR Foundation invites applications from interested candidates, male and female, for its 2022 Grantmanship and Mentorship training.
We are on twitter, follow us to connect with us - @scholarsregion— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) January 13, 2022
The Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme aimed at building an adequate and sustainable network of committed early career researchers with inter-disciplinary and multi-institutional collaborative approach and proficiency in developing high quality, competitive grant writing and capacity for healthcare research and development in Nigeria.
Several other scholarships are available in the United States, Germany, United Kingdom and Canada that offers full scholarships and monthly allowances. Here are some suggestions you should check out;
- 2022 University of New England Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarship to study in Australia | offers Full Scholarships and $28,854 annual stipend.
- The 2022 DAAD Friedrich Ebert Foundation Scholarship to study in Germany | offers Full Scholarships and €12,444 annual stipends
- Monash University GEMS Scholarship for Postgraduate Students to study in Malaysia | offers Full Scholarships and $29,900 annual stipends
- Host: Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR)
- Category: Internships | Training | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: Nigeria
- Reward: Full Sponsorship
- Deadline: September 11, 2022
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
The grantsmanship and mentorship training programme will be facilitated by prominent researchers who are well published, have experience serving or managing grant review panels and won grants from local and international funding organizations.
The workshop will be guided by the National Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme Curriculum developed by the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research for the sessions.
For the 21-day period, the successful candidates will be tutored through hands on practical sessions on successful grants proposal writing. The teaching sessions will adopt blended learning approach with pre-course online self-directed reading and onsite teaching and learning methods including didactic lectures, role-plays, group discussions, micro-teaching sessions, online learning/webinars, peer-review simulation sessions, independent study time, home-work and term papers. Each training day will comprise of teaching sessions in the morning, practical sessions in the afternoon and group work and networking sessions in the late afternoon/ evening.
The programme will cover the following:
- Understanding of health services research methods
- Formulation of research questions and hypotheses
- Selection of appropriate statistical tools for data analysis
- Ethics and Ethics Permission in Research
- How to search and identify targeted funding agencies and understand funders’ requirements
- Writing compelling grant proposals
- Identification of the technicalities of the peer review process and demonstration using a practice peer review process
- Improving proficiency in training and communication skills including writing plain language summaries
- Training on proficiency in facilitation of micro-teaching session on mentorship
- Principles of establishing and managing partnerships and collaborations
To be considered for the NIMR Grantmanship and Mentorship program, you must:
- Be a citizen of a Nigeria (from any of the six-geopolitical zones)
- Be an early career investigator (junior and mid-level researcher) and you have completed your research education (either of below):
- You have been awarded a research doctorate (PhD/DPhil/MD) from a recognized academic institution normally within the past 6 years
- You have a medical/clinical qualification PLUS research-relevant Master’s degree, both awarded normally within the previous 6 years
- Be currently employed in Nigeria by a recognized university or research institution to develop and conduct any type of health care research.
- Be someone who have limited or no experience in proposal development and grant-writing.
- Not have not won any significant local or international research grants
MORE SCHOLARSHIPS ABROAD | CHECK NOW
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The training program will last for 21 days
- Transportation, accommodation and full board will be fully sponsored by NIMR Foundation
- Training and Mentorship for the selected applicants
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Application Form to be completed online
- A two-page bio-sketch (NIH format) with a maximum of 5 publications
- Motivation letter of not more than 500 words (Times New Roman, Size 12, Spacing 1.15).
- A one-page research concept note (Times New Roman, Size 12, Spacing 1.15).
- A letter of recommendation/support from the Provost/Dean of college/Faculty
- Endorsement to attend the workshop
- How the training will benefit the researcher/investigator
- Commitment that applicant will be available for the 21 days without break
- Support for the applicant to step down the training within his/her institution on completing the training workshop