Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) is an initiative of Poets in Nigeria (PIN) aimed at stimulating literary creativity and encouraging critical thinking among Nigerian undergraduates.
Since its inception in 2016 at the University of Ibadan, the prize has received about 3500 entries from students representing over 100 tertiary institutions (including universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, schools of nursing and seminary schools).
Reputed as the foremost poetry prize for Nigerian students, the NSPP has awarded 2 million Naira to winning entrants and published 541 poems authored by selected entrants in six anthologies: The Sun Will Rise Again (2016), Mixed History (2017), Deep Dreams (2018, Micah (2019), The House That Built Me (2020) and Portrait of Water (2021).
Notably, tertiary institutions such as University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu and Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Yenagoa hosted the NSPP Awards in 2017, 2018 and 2019 respectively. In 2021, the awards ceremony was held at the University of Ibadan, with a cash prize of N400,000 shared among the winning entrants.
Previous grand prize winners of the NSPP include Noah Oladele (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife; 2016), Bakre Fadil Adedamola (University of Ibadan; 2017), Godstime Tamunofiri Iberiyenari (Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Yenagoa; 2018), Ogugua Micah Okoye (Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu; 2019), Okwubi Godwin Adah (University of Benin; 2020) and Samuel A. Adeyemi (Federal University, Lokoja; 2021).
The seventh edition of the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) opens for submission between 15th January and 7th March, 2022. Taking note of the deadline, interested Nigerian undergraduates are expected to submit a 30-line poem on any theme of their choice.
To be considered for the competition, you must note that:
- Open to all Nigerian undergraduates studying in Nigeria and the diaspora.
- Entrants must be from a recognized tertiary institution.
Aside rewarding the prize winners with a total cash prize of ₦500,000, exceptional entrants will each receive a certificate of excellence and complimentary copy of the NSPP anthology which features their works.
1st Prize – ₦200,000
2nd Prize – ₦150,000
3rd Prize – ₦75,000
Consolation Prize – ₦25,000 each for 4th, 5th and 6th best entrants
- Submissions are to be made at nspp.poetsinnigeria.org.ng , with strict adherence to the instructions thereon.
- Entrants should write on any theme of their choice while considering its topicality.
- Entrants must give unique titles to their works
- Indicate the theme selected beneath your work
- Poems must be original intellectual property of the entrants.
- An entrant is entitled to a single entry of 30 lines maximum.
- Entries submitted must be previously unpublished. A submission discovered to have defaulted on this rule will be automatically voided.
- All entrants are expected to purchase a minimum of one of the six NSPP anthologies uploaded on the submission portal.
- Under no condition will the judges’ decision be challenged.
- Entering for the contest gives PIN automatic right to make use of entries as deemed appropriate.
- Entries must be written in English. Native terminologies must be translated in English as footnotes.
- Entrants should subscribe to www.poetsinnigeria.org.ng for regular updates.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should apply using the link below.
Follow the guidelines therein and submit before the deadline date.