Calling on young change-makers: the Office of the United Nations Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth is looking for the next generation of Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)!
On a biennial basis, 17 outstanding young leaders from across various sectors are recognized for their agency, courage and ingenuity in finding lasting solutions to the world’s greatest challenges.
Throughout the two-year term, these 17 Young Leaders will engage young people for the 2030 Agenda, not only through their existing initiatives, platforms and networks but through advocacy opportunities with the United Nations and its partners.
Becoming a Young Leader is a title of recognition from the United Nations for young people who are excelling in their contributions to helping deliver on the SDGs in their communities.
Learn more about our former classes of Young Leaders for the SDGs: 2016 Class, 2018 Class, 2020 Class.
Applications for the 2022 Class are now open and will close on 31 March 2022! Young people from all over the world between the ages of 15 and 29 years are encouraged to apply.
Candidates are selected based on the following criteria:
- Leadership – Ability to influence and motivate others
- Innovation – Uniqueness and ingenuity
- Scalability – Potential to benefit others beyond their current scope of impact
- Impact – Measurable outcomes directly linked to their work
- Presentation – Inspire and motivate others through storytelling
Other factors that are taken into consideration are:
- Achievement – Commitment to promoting and advancing key areas of the SDGs
- Influence – Commitment to inclusive and innovative leadership
- Integrity – Commitment to core values of the United Nations
Each class of 17 Young Leaders is selected through an open call for applications and a rigorous assessment process. All interested candidates who meet the eligibility requirements are welcome to submit an application. Learn more about the Young Leaders programme.
The call for applications for the selection of the 2022 Class of Young Leaders is open from 7 March 2022 until 31 March 2022.
Method of Application
Important information before you begin your application:
- You will need to create a free Submittable account in order to complete the application. Use this quick guide on how to get started.
- You can save a draft of your work if you would like to finish filling out the form at a later date.
- Please reach out to Submittable’s Customer Support team with any technical questions at firstname.lastname@example.org