YALI RLC West Africa – The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by the United States government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders.
Africa continues to make positive headlines relating to strong economic growth, improved attractiveness for investment as well as improved governance and leadership among other areas.
Supporting this progress, the Accra Regional Leadership Centre (RLC), as part of united state government initiative, Young African Leadership Initiative (YALI), will offer an innovative and game changing leadership training program in Africa.
The Emerging Leaders Program will teach young African leaders about modern leadership over a period of 17 weeks. The program will be broken down into four phases – a 5 week coursework phase delivered in-person or online and the remaining 12 weeks distributed equally among a mentorship program, internship or community service, and a report writing period.
Focusing on the 5 week coursework phase, it will entail three core courses (Leadership and Accountability, Ethics, and Contemporary issues affecting Africa) and one elective course selected from a sample of three courses covering three themes, namely Entrepreneurship, Public Policy and Management, and Civil Society Management. The in-person training will be conducted in Ghana at the Accra RLC whereas the on-line course will be available from any location around West Africa. Course facilitators/trainers will be selected from among proven leaders from Africa and around the world. Innovative teaching and training approaches will be used to enhance learner experience and motivation.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is merit-based and open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso.
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
Duration and Reward
- At the end of the program participants will be awarded with certificates and become members of the prestigious YALI Alumni
- Participants will be taken through various forms of leadership training to prepare them for leadership roles in their various organizations, communities and countries.
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition.
All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- Demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should apply using the link below.