Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Global Grand Challenge will consider proposals for awards of up to USD $100,000, and up to 3 months implementation period.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Grand Challenges (GC) Partners (including GC South Africa and GC Brazil, with others to be confirmed) have jointly discussed the need for an equitable and responsible approach to the use of AI and specifically Large Language Models (LLMs) in LMICs.
This initial call by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation represents an early step towards identifying, nurturing, and catalyzing the creativity, energy, and skills that researchers, implementers, governments, and technical partners have demonstrated in solving specific challenges in their countries and regions through LLMs. We are optimistic that this will lead to more investment from the Gates Foundation, GC partners, and other funders, to ensure that this potentially transformative technology improves the lives and conditions of the most vulnerable communities around the world.
More scholarship opportunities are ongoing in countries across Europe, the United States and Canada. Check out some selected opportunities below:
- Host: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Category: Competitions | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: All Low and Developing Countries
- Reward: USD $100,000 Grant
- Deadline: June 5, 2023
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
The power of science and innovation can improve global health and development outcomes and dramatically reduce global inequity. Harnessing the potential of Artificial Intelligence (AI) can improve the lives and wellbeing of women, children, and vulnerable communities everywhere.
As AI technology continues to swiftly evolve and advance, the global community must move with urgency to ensure low- and middle-income countriesi (LMICs) are included in the co-creation process. AI solutions targeting LMICs must be locally driven and owned and relevant to each person’s needs. Local communities must be given the opportunity to provide their own perspective and cultural context so that they can decide on both 1) their own thresholds for safe usage and 2) the overall utility of AI within their own lives.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp
To be considered for the grant challenge, you must meet the following :
- This initiative is open to organizations based in low-and-middle-income countries (LMIC1), including nonprofit organizations, for-profit companies, international organizations, government agencies and academic institutions.
- Collaborations with global partners is acceptable, however, at least 80% of the funding needs to be awarded directly to organizations based in low-andmiddle-income countries.
- Individuals and organizations classified as individuals for U.S. tax purposes are not eligible to receive an award from the foundation as part of this initiative.
- Upon registration, applicants must provide information about the tax status of their organization as different terms and conditions may apply. You should confirm your organization’s tax status with the appropriate advisor or entity within your organization such as your grants or contracts department, finance, or office of sponsored research.
- The foundation may request additional information regarding your tax status. For information about tax statuses, you may check with your own advisors and review information provided on the Internal Revenue Service web site at: www.irs.gov.
2O23 ONGOING SCHOLARSHIPS
Study-In-UK: 2023 Queen Mary University DeepMind Scholarship For International Students
APPLY: 2023 Canada Government Federal Skilled Worker Program for Foreigners
Study-In-Belgium: 2023 Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships for International Students
Study-In-Germany: 2023 German Government DAAD Scholarships for International Students
Duration and Reward
We will consider proposals for awards of up to USD $100,000, and up to 3 months implementation period including indirect costs permitted under our Indirect Cost Policy.
If you are selected to receive a grant, your organization will be required to agree to the terms and conditions governing the grant award. If your organization requires material changes to the terms and conditions, the application may be blocked from moving forward for funding. Please see the terms and conditions linked below.
This RFP seeks innovative and safe approaches to the use of Large Language Models (ChatGPT-4, or other credible sources with equivalent capability) to build an evidence base across the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Divisions of Global Health, Gender Equality, Global Growth and Opportunity (including Global Education), and Global Development contexts in LMICs.
We are looking for projects that can be executed over a 3-month period and will achieve at least one of the following objectives:
- Demonstrate how the tool can be used to support decision making (in terms of speed, accuracy, inclusivity, quality) in the following domains.
- Accelerate the pathway from evidence to policy development.
- Accelerate the pathway from policy to implementation.
- Enhance the quality and timeliness of focused communications.
- Improve the quality of resource allocation exercises.
- Decision support for front line workers.
- Achieve a better understanding of the opportunities and challenges related to ChatGPT-4, or other credible sources with equivalent capabilities, use in LMICs and how they can be effectively mitigated.
- Conduct observational research that highlights end-user specific applications of ChatGPT-4, or other credible sources with equivalent capabilities, amongst vulnerable populations in LMICs.
Method of Application
Please review the Application Instructions as you develop your proposal. You are required to submit either a Microsoft Word® or PDF document no more than two pages in length for your Proposal Narrative.
You will also upload a completed Addendum and Budget Table and Narrative, templates provided in the Application Instructions. Please do not include a cover sheet with your proposal.
A cover sheet will be automatically generated from your registration data.
Changes to the Rules and Guidelines and to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document will be posted periodically, including any changes to the dates listed above. Please read the FAQ document before submitting any questions or concerns.
Proposals for the Catalyzing Equitable AI Use Grand Challenge must be submitted prior to the submission deadline of 11:30 a.m. Pacific Standard Time on June 5, 2023.
Deadline: June 5, 2023
Receive Scholarship Updates through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: Scholarship Region WhatsApp
- Facebook: Scholars Region
- Twitter: @scholarsregion
- Telegram: Scholarship Region