Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) based on the beautiful campus of the University of Ghana, Legon (Accra) invites application from interested candidates for its 2023 Fellowship with €4,500 grant.
The Institute provides its fellows with office space on the University of Ghana campus. Fellows have full access to all library services at the University of Ghana and, electronically, at the University of Freiburg, Germany
Several other scholarships are available in the United States, Germany, United Kingdom and Canada that offers full scholarships and monthly allowances. Here are some suggestions you should check out;
- 2023 University of British Columbia Killam Scholarship for Postgraduate Students to study in Canada | offers Full Scholarships and $32,000 annual stipend.
- 2023 Stellenbosch University Postgraduate Scholarship for African Students | offers Full Scholarships and $27,980 annual stipends
- 2023 Bond University HDR Scholarships for Postgraduate Students to study in Australia | offers Full Scholarships and $29,863 annual stipends
- Host Country: Ghana
- Study Abroad: Study in Africa
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: Full Sponsorship | Over €4,500
- €1500 Accommodation Allowance
- €3,000 Research grant
- Office space
- Deadline: September 30, 2022
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
The present call is for up to ten (10) individual residential fellowships for 3-12 months each for the academic year 2023/2024. The starting date of a fellowship is generally handled flexibly, however, we strongly encourage to set the starting date on either 1st of June 2023, 1st of August 2023 or 1st of January 2024. The latest possible date for the end of a fellowship is the 31st of July 2024.
The successful applicants become MIASA fellows with all the corresponding rights and obligations for the requested funding period.
For fellows affiliated with a home institution the fellows’ salary or teaching substitution costs are met by MIASA for every full fellowship month on the principle of “no loss, no gain,” and paid directly to his/her home institution. In cases where this is not possible an individual grant based on the candidate’s salary at his/her home institution can be offered.
Fellows may be eligible for a post adjustment to compensate for the difference in the cost of living based on a case-by-case justification.
Fellows without employment receive an individual monthly grant. For fellows from outside Accra, MIASA provides accommodation (or an equivalent accommodation allowance of up to €1500/month) and reimburses travel costs.
In addition, a contribution to support research undertaken at MIASA can be granted to all MIASA fellows upon application to MIASA directors (max. €250 per fellow per month).
MIASA fellows who come with family members to Accra can receive a family allowance. Fellowships are funded by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research via the University of Freiburg/FRIAS.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp
To be considered for the MIASA Fellowship, you must:
- Be a scholar (both on junior and senior levels) who have been awarded their doctoral degree at least three months before the start of the fellowship
- Be a researcher of top academic quality with an innovative and high-quality research topic
- Be ready to relate positively with others
MORE SCHOLARSHIPS ABROAD | CHECK NOW
Study-In-Canada: 2023 McGill University McCall MacBain Scholarships for International Students
Study-In-US: 2023 John Carroll University Merit Scholarships for International Students
Study-In-Canada: 2023 Toronto School of Management (TSoM) Scholarship For International Students
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- Up to ten Individual Residential Fellowships for 3-12 months each at the University of Ghana
- MIASA provides accommodation (or an equivalent accommodation allowance of up to €1500/month) and reimburses travel costs
- MIASA fellows upon application to MIASA directors (max. 250€ per fellow per month
- MIASA fellows who come with family members to Accra can receive a family allowance
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Front page with general information on the applicant (1 page):
- Title, name (last, first), e-mail address, link to webpage.
- Date of doctorate.
- Current position/affiliation, institution and business address (name of institution/city/country). Please indicate if you are affiliated with a German research institution/university at the moment of application.
- Research field.
- Title of fellowship project.
- Abstract of the fellowship project (max. 150 words).
- Dates for the fellowship at MIASA for which you apply according to MIASA’s calendar.
- The two most important reasons why you apply for a residential fellowship at MIASA.
- Project proposal (max. 5 pages):
- Project title (max. 50 characters).
- Abstract of the fellowship project (150 words).
- Aims, theoretical framework and methodology of the project.
- Work and time plan (note: the fellowships only offer a max. of 250€/month research costs, following the guidelines of the funding institution, and it requires being present at MIASA).
- Innovative potential, originality and relevance of the project.
- Added value of conducting research at MIASA and the University of Ghana.
- Bibliographical references (max. 1 page in addition to the 5 pages of the proposal).
- CV in tabular form (max. 2 pages).
- Publication list highlighting the most important publications (max. 2 pages).
Method of Application
Applicants should note that no cover letter is required but a front page.
Applications will be accepted in English and French. The completed application form together with the information indicated below have to be uploaded on the application webpage
Successful candidates will be informed by December 2022.
For more details about the Fellowship and application, click the link below.
Deadline: September 30, 2022
Receive Scholarship Updates through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: Scholarship Region WhatsApp
- Facebook: Scholars Region
- Twitter: @scholarsregion
- Telegram: Scholarship Region