The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and the Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) Joint Ventures has opened application for the 2021 Scholarship Awards.
The Scholarship which is opened for Nigerian Undergraduates Students in two forms – the National Merit Award (opened for all Nigerians) and Areas of operation merit award (opened for indigenes of Abia, Bayelsa, Delta, Imo and Rivers State).
According to previous beneficiaries, the Scholarship body awards a sum of N200,000 to each scholars every year till the conclusion of their undergraduate programs. Applications for the 2021 award has opened since the 30th of August 2021 and closes by the 25th of September 2021.
This article has been composed to guide you through the application step wisely to ensure you are able to maximize the opportunity.
Understanding the Requirements:
The NNPC/SPDC Scholarship Award is open to Nigerian students in any of the Nigerian Universities who was in 200 level last year (2020). This means that you are qualified to apply if you were in 200 level as at December, 2020.
You are also qualified to apply if you are presently in 200 level.
Since this Scholarship was announced in August 2021, you are qualified to apply if you are now in 300 level but was in 200 level as at December of 2020. Other requirements include that you must be a Nigerian citizen and must be undergoing a full-time study in any of the recognized Universities in Nigeria.
If this describes your situation, you are absolutely qualified to apply for this scholarship.
How to submit your Application
Before you start your application, these are the details you will need throughout the application process, so get them ready:
- Your UTME registration number (can be found on your JAMB Admission letter)
- Your JAMB score
- Your Matriculation number and CGPA
- Your O’level results (Best five subjects, including Mathematics and English)
- Documents: You will be asked to upload the following documents, these documents can be snapped professionally with a good mobile phone that has good camera, or can be simply scanned at a Café. Once you have it, you should reduce the file size to ensure each is not upto 1MB.
- To do this, you can download “Photo Resizer” on Google Playstore and use it to select the compression.
- The Files are: Passport Photograph (a good picture of you), State of Origin (You can use your Local Government Certificate), JAMB Admission Letter and, O’level result.
If candidates applying for the “Areas of Operations” Award – Abia, Bayelsa, Delta, Imo and Rivers State, you will be required to submit a letter of identification.
- Letter of Identification: A letter of identification is an official letter to be signed by the traditional head of your community, such as town head, or the Chairman of the Community Development Committee or Community Executive Council (CEC). Getting this document is easy, all that they require from you is that you should identify with a community, so approach the leaders of your community, preferably the closest traditional head of your community to write a simple letter that you are “one of them”.
- Letter of Identification (2): According to the NNPC/SPDC guideline, the letter should be addressed to:
Social Performance & Social Investment,
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited,
Now to the application itself.
STEP 1: Go to https://www.spdc-jv-scholarship.shell.com/ to start.
STEP 2: Click “Create User Account” to register yourself as an applicant. Input your username, email and secret question and answer. NOTE: Ensure you remember your Username.
STEP 3: Once you have filled the details in STEP 2, the system will redirect you a page that will show your password. NOTE that password, you can write it down somewhere because it is generally not something you can easily memorize.
STEP 4: The page will show you a link that says “Apply Now”, click the link and login with your username and password.
STEP 6: Click “Next” to continue, you will be brought to the Education information section, if you have gathered all the details mentioned above, this will be a smooth ride for you. Fill in the appropriate details as applicable.
STEP 7: Click “Next” to continue, you will be brought to the “Upload Certificates” section. Here you will be required to upload all the documents that was mentioned earlier. Remember, you should ensure you compress the images you snapped to reduce the size to less than 1MB. As explained before, this can be easily done with the “Photo resizer” application which can be downloaded on Google Playstore.
STEP 8: Once you have completed the form, click “Save As Draft” to ensure the system stores all you inputs. Once you have done that, go back to review what you have inputted to ensure the details are all accurate. After checking through and it is perfect, CLICK “SUBMIT”.
STEP 9: Congratulations! You have submitted your application. Best of luck!