Education USA Opportunity Fund is a program of the US Consulate in Lagos aimed at identifying academically qualified and highly motivated, low-income students in Nigeria with a view to mentoring them to securing undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships in the United States.
The opportunity is open to SSS 3 students, young school leavers and graduates from recognized secondary schools and universities in Nigeria respectively, and since 2004, the EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program has placed 400 students at the most selective colleges and universities in North America with full aid.
This post elucidates all the step by step process required to submit an application for the 2022 edition of the program.
Why EducationUSA Opportunity Fund
EducationUSA have a team of advisers who will guide you through the application process of several colleges through periodic seminars. They will cover the upfront costs of applying to the schools (an average of $50), the cost of taking standardized tests, international passport, a flight ticket to the U.S, visa and SEVIS fees, and if available, a settling-in allowance.
Understanding the requirements
Though the program seeks to reward academically excellent and motivated students with 6 A’s in WASSCE exam or its Mock equivalent for secondary school students and a First-Class grade for prospective graduate students, students with less than 6 A’s in WASSCE and a Second-Class Upper Honors can still apply.
Please note that:
- only May/June WASSCE of 2020 or 2021 will be accepted.
- if you do not yet possess WASSCE results but are in SSS 3, you will tender SS1 & 2 end-of year reports.
Preparing your documents
As you must have guessed from the requirements above, the next step is to prepare the necessary documents to be submitted on the online portal. You will be required to upload the following;
- SS1 & 2 end-of year report (word or PDF files only) – This is otherwise known as your end of the session report card for both classes.
- Mock WAEC result or WAEC result (word or PDF files only)
- Copy of your university transcript-if available for graduate students (PDF files only)
- Copy of Statement of Result/Degree – for graduate students (PDF files)
- Submit a detailed Academic Curriculum Vitae – for graduate students(PDF files only)
- Statement of purpose or Personal Statement. – This tells admissions committees who you are, what your academic and professional interests are, and how you’ll add value to the graduate program you’re applying to.
- Scanned copy of any supplementary certificates of achievement(PDF files only) – These could be training, conference or skill acquisition certificates, endorsements, workshops etc.
- Copy of GRE result (Recommended for Engineering graduate students) PDF files only
- Other supporting documentation(word or PDF files only).
Please ensure that these documents contain authorized signatures as necessary.
Submitting your application
Please ensure you have all your documents prepared before you continue reading….
Once you have ensured they are all intact, follow the steps below;
STEP 1: Visit https://opportunityfundsnigeria.org/ and click on Apply Here
STEP 2: Click on either OFP 2022 Undergraduate Application or OFP 2022 Graduate Application Form as applied to you and further click on ‘Login to continue’
STEP 3: Since you are applying for the first time, create a new account by clicking on ‘Sign up now!’ (create your account and verify your email)
STEP 4: You can now proceed to ‘APPLY HERE‘
STEP 6: Review your application as many times as possible before finally submitting.
STEP 7: Congratulations! You have submitted your application. Best of luck!