Knight Science Fellowship at MIT supports a global community of dedicated and thoughtful journalists specializing in science, health, technology and environmental reporting.
The program is designed to recognize journalists from around the world who demonstrate a high level of professional excellence and accomplishment as well as a long-term commitment to their craft. Journalists from all countries compete on an equal basis and are encouraged to apply.
Knight Science Fellowship Summary
Knight Science Fellowship Details:
The Knight Science Fellowship Program at MIT provides for 10 science journalists worldwide, allowing them to delve into science, technology, and journalism skills. This program enables journalists to focus on a specific science niche and engage with leading research universities globally.
If applicants are selected to participate in the Knight Science Fellowship, they must meet the following expectations:
- Reside full-time in the Boston/Cambridge area for the MIT academic year, which runs from mid-August to May.
- Attend field trips, seminars, and required training sessions arranged by the Knight Science Journalism Fellowship Program.
- Develop a course of study that includes at least one science course per semester.
- Refrain from outside paid professional work during the Fellowship, unless written permission has been granted by the director.
- Produce a well-thought-out research project during the academic year.
Eligibility Requirements for 2024 Knight Science Fellowship
To be eligible for the Knight Science Fellowship, applicants must:
- Be full-time journalists, whether on staff or freelance. Part-time writers or producers are not eligible.
- Have at least three consecutive years of experience covering science, health, technology and environmental reporting.
- Be reporters, writers, editors, producers, illustrators, filmmakers, or photojournalists. This includes work for newspapers, magazines, television, radio, and digital media.
Applicants must not have completed a fellowship of four months or longer during the two years prior to applying for the Knight Science Journalism Fellowship.
Benefits of 2024 Knight Science Fellowship
- Fellows receive a $85,000 stipend paid out in installments over 9.5 months
- Relocation allowance
- Basic health insurance for each fellow and their family
Required Documents for Knight Science Fellowship
Each applicant interested in the Knight Science Fellowship must submit the following documents:
- Professional Autobiography: Describe, in 500 words or less, why you want to participate in the Knight Science Journalism Fellowship Program and how it fits with your professional goals.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: Provide a brief overview of your education, work history, and professional honors. (Freelancers should include a list of freelance jobs completed in the past 12 months. Include each story, venue, and date of publication or broadcast.)
- Research Project Proposal: Describe, in 500 words or less, a project you intend to develop during the fellowship year. The goal is for fellows to create a project that uniquely leverages their time and experiences at MIT, using the resources and connections available to them while they are here. The research project must be based in journalism, but it can expand beyond traditional parameters and be created in any format: long-form, story series, multimedia, video, audio, installation, etc.
Please note: The research project may be a book proposal, but fellows may not sell the proposal during the fellowship year, nor may they arrive with a contract to write a book during the fellowship year.
- Five Work Samples: Please provide five relevant work samples. Choose samples that best illustrate your interest and abilities. Please include a translation for any work not produced in English.
- Three Professional References: Please provide three letters of recommendation. Letters should come from individuals familiar with your work and should comment on your abilities and your commitment to journalism. Applicants will provide the names and contact info for their recommenders in the application form, and letter requests will be sent to the recommenders automatically.
How to Apply for Knight Science Fellowship
Interested and qualified applicants should use the “CLICK HERE TO APPLY” button below to complete the application processes.