Boost you scholarship journey! Follow us on twitter @scholarsregion for the latest updates and access to community support from scholars across the world.— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) November 8, 2021
With your application for the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa you will get the chance to
- win up to EUR 250,000 in grants as a finalist and attend a 12-month accelerator program
- participate in a 5-day innovation bootcamp
- present your solution to a distinguished jury
- network with mentors, investors and potential business partners
- gain international exposure
Let us connect African, European and Austrian entrepreneurs to scale up and boost the social impact of innovative digital solutions.
- Host: Kofi Annan Foundation | Republic of Austria
- Category: Competitions | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: African Countries
- Reward: EUR 250,000 | Boot-camp
- Deadline: December 1, 2021
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
The 2021 Kofi Annan Award is seeking to support technology-powered solutions and approaches that are helping to achieve high quality universal health coverage in African countries, including financial risk protection, access to quality essential health-care services and access to safe, effective, quality and affordable essential medicines and vaccines for all. We welcome applications from social entrepreneurs with digital or technology-powered solutions for people in Africa who are addressing one or more of the following challenges:
- Availability and access to safe, effective, quality and affordable essential medicines and vaccines (including production, transport and distribution, as well as financial mechanisms allowing for affordability)
- Access to quality essential healthcare services (including telemedicine: diagnostics, data exchange between health posts and specialists in hospitals and mHealth (Mobile Health):
- Availability and access to mental health services (including training of mental health practitioners, tele-health solutions and projects aiming at de-stigmatisation)
- Better prevention and prophylaxis: early warning, risk reduction, and management of health risks (including disease prevention and prophylaxis and health awareness)
- Improve financial risk protection for the most vulnerable (including micro-insurance solutions, reduction of out-of pocket expenses, prepayment and pooling of resources for health)
- Wildcard: high potential disruptive innovations in the digital health space are welcomed to apply
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp
To be considered for the offer, you must:
- Your company must be a for-profit legal entity and incorporated for at least two years at the time of application.
- Your solution is anchored in at least one African country.
- The applicant must have existing contacts/presence in the country of implementation: country office or other permanent presence, subsidiary, long-term operations or partnerships in the country.
- Your innovation clearly addresses one or more areas of SDG 3 Target Indicator 8.
- The entity does not fall under any of the points listed in the solemn declaration
- Your innovation has more than 1 million people of total addressable market
- Your startup pays attention to environmental protection and climate change, gender equality and women empowerment, as well as social inclusion (leave no one behind)
- Your startup is not required to make a monetary contribution to the proposed project budget.
- Your innovation should have a strong proof-of-concept with initial traction and a clear path to scale. Your application will be evaluated in equal weight according to the following criteria:
- Impact & Scalability
- business Model
Duration and Reward
The WFP Innovation Accelerator together with the Federal Chancellery of Austria (BKA), the Austrian Development Agency (ADA) and the Kofi Annan Foundation (KAF) wish to support innovative solutions that address the urgent healthcare needs of people across Africa. Therefore, our offer is:
- To select 9 teams that will be invited to participate in a fully virtual WFP Innovation Bootcamp, where they will benefit from the chance to work with technical and industry mentors who will provide guidance to further develop and refine their solutions.
- Projects that make it to bootcamp have the opportunity to apply to the Austrian Development Agency for 3 x EUR 250.000.
- The 3 ventures that are each awarded EUR 250.000 will also join the WFP Sprint Programme, a 12-month acceleration programme with access to mentorship, and a global network of partners.
- The final 9 ventures will be able to tap into and leverage a network of relevant businesses, investors and mentors.
Please be advised that successful applicants that receive an invitation to the Bootcamp will be required to submit the following documents:
- Signed Company and Bank Details
- Proof of registration (extract from business register or commercial register, copy of business license)
- Tax registration number, copy of tax registration
- Articles of incorporation.
- Proof of creditworthiness (if available)
- Annual accounts of the last two years (if available)
- Police records /CVs
Method of Application
- Applications must be submitted in English
- To submit an application, please fill in this form by 1 December 2021.
- If you know a relevant project for us to consider, please let us know here.
- We will review and contact shortlisted applications for a personal interview
- 9 ventures will be invited to bootcamp and can apply for 3 x EURO 250.000 funding from ADA.
- 3 teams will have the opportunity to be awarded EURO 250.000 each, funding from ADA and will enter into our 12-months sprint program.
NOTE: We value all applications, however, we are only able to contact shortlisted applicants
Deadline: December 1, 2021
Have any questions? – Click HERE to let us know and we will be glad to help.
Receive Alerts on: WhatsApp: Scholarship Region WhatsApp, Twitter: @scholarsregion, Telegram: Scholarship Region, Facebook: Scholarship Region