Shanghai Government Scholarship for International Students offers fully-funded scholarships to students worldwide, including those pursuing undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral degrees in China at East China Normal University in 2024.
We are on twitter, follow us to connect with us - @scholarsregion— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) January 13, 2022
In order to serve Shanghai in building a technological innovation center with global influence, further promote international cooperation and exchanges in education in Shanghai, and attract outstanding students and scholars from various countries to study and research in Shanghai, the Shanghai Municipal People’s Government has established the Shanghai Government Scholarship for Foreign Students since 2006 ( (hereinafter referred to as the “Scholarship”) is used to fund outstanding foreign students to study in Shanghai.
- Host Country: China
- Study Abroad: Study in Asia
- Category: Undergraduate Scholarships | Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Accommodation | Monthly stipends | Medical Insurance
- Deadline: May 10, 2024
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
Shanghai Government Scholarships for Foreign Students are divided into two categories: A and B.
Type A scholarship (full scholarship): covers tuition, accommodation, living expenses and comprehensive medical insurance during the corresponding academic period, and is applicable to undergraduate, master’s, doctoral and undergraduate preparatory studies.
Type B scholarship (partial scholarship): covers tuition fees and comprehensive medical insurance during the corresponding academic period, and is applicable to undergraduate, master’s and doctoral studies.
To be considered for the Shanghai Government Scholarship:
- Applicants must be of foreign nationality and in good health.
- Applicant’s academic qualifications and age requirements:
- Applicants for undergraduate studies must have graduated from high school and be no more than 25 years old; Applicants for master’s degree must have obtained a bachelor’s degree and be no more than 35 years old; Applicants for doctoral studies must have obtained a master’s degree and have certain academic qualifications level, age no more than 40 years old.
- Students applying for undergraduate preparatory courses should have a high school degree or above, obtain a pre-admission notice from the undergraduate admission institution, and be no more than 23 years old.
- Excellent academic performance.
- Meet the corresponding language proficiency requirements:
- Applicants’ general Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) should reach at least the new level 4 (new HSK certificate must be provided). At the same time, you should meet the language requirements for the teaching language specified by the institution and major you are applying for.
- Meet the conditions specified by the institution and major you are applying for.
- Not receiving other types of scholarships from the Chinese government at the same time.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
These scholarships cover tuition, on-campus housing, stipends, and medical insurance, and are open to applicants from all nations for full-time degree programs.
To apply for the Shanghai Government Scholarship, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- SGS application form
- East China Normal University application form
- Educational Certificates
- Copy of Passport
- Study Plan
- Research proposal (If Applicable)
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Recommendation letters
- Physical Examination Form
- Acceptance Letter (if applicable)
- Proof of Language
- Non-Criminal Certificate
Method of Application
Log in to the “Study in Shanghai” website to check and directly apply for the school and major you plan to study. The application time is generally from February to April each year, but the application time and process of each institution may be adjusted each year. Please refer to the information published by each institution on its admissions website.