The University of Cape Town (UCT) has partnered with the Mastercard Foundation in its global Scholarship Program: an educational initiative that provides academically talented young people from economically disadvantaged communities in Africa with access to quality university education.
We are on twitter, follow us to connect with us - @scholarsregion— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) January 13, 2022
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT provides full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honours and master’s) degree-seeking applicants.
Several other scholarships are available in the United States, Germany, United Kingdom and Canada that offers full scholarships and monthly allowances. Here are some suggestions you should check out;
- The 2022 University of Michigan-Dearborn Undergraduate Scholarship in USA | offers Full Scholarships and $10,000 annual stipend.
- The 2022 DAAD Friedrich Ebert Foundation Scholarship to study in Germany | offers Full Scholarships and €12,444 annual stipends
- 2022 University of Maine Scholarships to study in USA | offers Full Scholarships and $23,000 annual stipends
- Host Country: South-Africa
- Study Abroad: Study in Africa
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Monthly Stipend | Accommodation | Airfare Tickets
- Deadline: September 25, 2022
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable, and whose transition into the workforce is underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to returning to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Academically talented – value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged – facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back – investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Future leaders – committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
MORE SCHOLARSHIPS ABROAD | CHECK NOW
Study-In-Canada: 2023 University of Waterloo Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for International Students
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- Comprehensive financial assistance with visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid and accommodation.
- A relevant and recognised education through academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support – to ensure that each Scholar successfully progresses academically.
- An array of cultural and transition support and training aimed at academic and professional enrichment and assisting in the challenges facing university going students.
- Career and internship opportunities in Africa, service learning, experiential learning – career guidance and support for transition to further study or the workforce.
- Leadership development and training.
- Alumni networks for further support.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- An official passport which must be valid for at least 30 days after the end of the proposed stay in South Africa, otherwise the permit will only be granted for the period of up to 30 days before the expiry date. It should also have at least one unused page left when arriving in South Africa. Passports should not be endorsed or extended;
- A Department of Home Affairs application form (BI-1738);
- An official letter from UCT confirming acceptance at the institution for the duration of the course. This is a letter from the relevant faculty offering a place to
- In the event of persons under the age of 21, UCT will appoint guardian’s and proof of consent in liaison with the parents of such applicants;
- A police clearance certificate (less than 6 months old);
- A medical and radiological reports (less than 6 months old);
- A relevant certificate if married, widowed, divorced or separated;
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate if travelling from or through yellow fever endemic area;
- Proof of medical cover (which will be arranged by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program staff members at UCT for successful applicants);
- Proof of accommodation (which will be arranged by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program staff members at UCT for successful scholarship applicants).
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, maintenance and incidental costs (this will be confirmed in the letter of award to successful scholarship applicants).
Method of Application
Interested applicants would have to following the following steps in ensuring the success of the application;
- Step 1: Academic application – Applying directly to the University
- Step 2: Collate the necessary supporting documents to strengthen your academic application
Step 3: Apply online for academic study and placement
Step 4: Await the outcome of your academic application
Then: Visit the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town website to begin the Scholarship Application proper