University of Alberta Postgraduate Scholarship has a wide array of awards, scholarships & prizes to assist in funding your graduate studies by a variety of sources including the Government of Canada, Government of Alberta, and the generosity of the university’s many donors. Some awards are exclusive to specific programs.
We are on twitter, follow us to connect with us - @scholarsregion— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) January 13, 2022
The Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science is open for interested and qualified applicants to be part of a collaborative research group and have the opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary research team. The candidate is expected to work both independently and as part of a large research team. Current projects examine plant-microbial interactions, soil health, and soil microbiome.
Table of Contents
A PhD position is available in the Plant-Microbe Lab under the supervision of Dr. Malinda Thilakarathna at the University of Alberta. Our current research program is focused on beneficial microorganisms, soil amendments, biotic and abiotic factors on field crop production and soil health.
To be considered for the University of Alberta Postgraduate Scholarship, you have:
- MSc in microbiology, biology, biochemistry, molecular biology
- Experience in soil/plant microbiome (essential)
- Experience with processing next-generation sequencing data
- Experience in wet-lab molecular biology (e.g. DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, etc.)
- Experience with using R programming for statistical analyses
- Enthusiastic to learn bioinformatics
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills with a track record of peer-reviewed publications
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The scholarship is a fully funded award covering the full cost of tuition and providing an additional $27,000 annual stipend for successful candidates.
Method of Application
Please forward your CV, letter of research interests, and contact information for three references to:
Dr. Malinda Thilakarathna (email@example.com). Please use “Plant-Microbe PhD” in the subject line.