University of Bonn Argelander Scholarships is to provide funding for doctoral candidates from countries in Africa, Latin America and Asia in order to promote scientific exchange with partners, particularly in regions that have been relatively marginalized in terms of scientific production and to promote international cooperation in the priority regions indicated in the partnership strategy.
We are on twitter, follow us to connect with us - @scholarsregion— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) January 13, 2022
The funding is for a period of at least 3 and not more than 12 months.
Applications are open for the Argelander Scholarships for doctoral candidates from universities in the Global South.
More scholarship opportunities are ongoing in countries across Europe, the United States and Canada. Check out some selected opportunities below:
- 2023 GLOCAL Erasmus Mundus scholarships For International Students | offers Full Scholarship and €6,000 per year stipend (APPLY)
- 2023 Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships | offers Full Scholarships and stipends (APPLY)
- 2023 Florida State University Scholarship for Postgraduate Students | offers Full Scholarships and $29,000 annual stipend (APPLY)
- Host Country: Germany
- Study Abroad: Study in Europe
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | €1,500 Monthly Stipend | Travel Allowance | Family Allowance
- Deadline: May 1, 2023
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
This funding line is intended to intensify collaborations between scientists in Bonn and their partners in the above- mentioned regions, and expand such collaborations with respect to the promotion of early-career researchers.
When the application is submitted, a formal or informal cooperation agreement should already exist between the home institute of the doctoral candidate and the host institute in Bonn. The host researchers in Bonn act as applicants.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp
To be considered for the scholarship, you must see below:
Preference is given to international doctoral candidates pursuing a doctoral degree at a university or a research institute in Africa, Latin America or Asia.
Doctoral candidates who are already pursuing their Ph.D. at the University of Bonn are not eligible for funding. Recipients of funding should finish their doctorates at their home university (to avoid brain drain).
Project proposals are evaluated in two categories:
- Academic Quality and Mutual Benefit: quality of the research project to be worked on during the stay in Bonn; relevance of the research topic to developments in the region of origin; scholars’s contribution to academic life in Bonn (e.g. via public lectures, seminars or colloquiums); scholars’s integration into the host institute (place of work, integration into existing teaching and research activities) and into an effective supervision concept
- Strategic Relevance and Potential for Future Cooperation: Intensity of the existing cooperation; plans for long-term research relationships between the scholar and the host institute in Bonn; connection to Bonn’s research profile ; how the research will be shared with broader academic communities
In the case of a tie between two proposals, preference will be given to the project with a higher score in the category ‘academic quality and mutual benefit’.
- Pre-assessment: anonymous by independent experts from the University of Bonn
- Final decision: a committee made up of representatives from all of University of Bonn’s faculties will discuss the shortlist and select the fellowships.
- Depending on the requested amounts, up to five projects can be funded
- Approval rate 2021: 8 proposals, 4 grants
2O22 ONGOING SCHOLARSHIPS
Study-In-Belgium: 2023 Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships for International Students
APPLY: 2023 Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship for Developing Countries
APPLY: 2023 University of Oxford Rhodes Trust Scholarship for International Students
Study-In-Canada: 2023 Toronto School of Management (TSoM) Scholarship For International Students
Scholarship Duration and Reward
The funding can cover the following:
- A travel allowance (depending on country of origin)
- A scholarship of €1,500 per month (additional funds for accompanying family members: up to €300 for a spouse and €250 per child)
- A research expense allowance of up to €300 per month that can be submitted to the International Office after the scholarship has been awarded. Information on applying for the allowance will be provided with your scholarship award.
The funding is for a period of at least 3 and not more than 12 months. When calculating costs, please note the instructions in the financing plan (and use the following Excel table, download here).
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Online form
- Project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project to be worked on during the person’s stay in Bonn;
please write your proposal for a multidisciplinary audience
- Reasons for the host to invite the doctoral candidate
- An outline of how the doctoral candidate will be integrated at the host institute (place of work, participation in the institute’s teaching and research activities), and an outline of how the project will be supervised in Bonn
- Justification by the home university regarding the academic goal of the research stay in Bonn
- Information on the current status of the doctorate and the planned completion of the doctorate in the home country
- CV and motivational letter of the doctoral candidate (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel table, download here)
Method of Application
The application must be submitted by a full-time professor from the University of Bonn. Up to two applications per host/professor can be considered.The doctoral candidates must submit a signed motivational letter.
Use the link below to apply
Deadline: May 1, 2023
Receive Scholarship Updates through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: Scholarship Region WhatsApp
- Facebook: Scholars Region
- Twitter: @scholarsregion
- Telegram: Scholarship Region