The Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People (SCYP) was founded in 2017 by the Government of Hungary.
The Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People is managed by the State Secretariat for the Aid of Persecuted Christians and for the Hungary Helps Program. The Hungary Helps Agency is in charge of coordinating the Scholarship Programme since August 2020.
- Host Country: Hungary
- Study Abroad: Study in Europe
- Category: Undergraduate Scholarships | Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: 10 Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship
- Deadline: January 31, 2022
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
Currently, almost 200 students are studying in the framework of the Programme from 9 different countries: Syria, Pakistan, Iraq, Israel and Palestine, Lebanon, Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Armenia.
The scholarship holders can take part in a wide range of education programmes taught in English, such as medical and health sciences, engineering, architecture, social science, economics, agriculture, arts and humanities and information technology. The program offers approximately 300 courses at 14 universities in Hungary, covering all higher education fields at all degrees offered, from bachelor to doctoral level.
Tuition fees are fully covered by the programme and the scholarship holders also receive support for travelling and accommodation costs.
The SCYP Programme is based on the cooperation between the State Secretariat for the Aid of Persecuted Christians and for the Hungary Helps Program and Churches that pursue humanitarian activities in crisis regions.
For the 2022/23 academic year, the scholarship is announced for the citizens of the following countries: Lebanese Republic, Republic of Iraq, State of Israel, Palestine, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Syrian Arab Republic, Republic of Kenya, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Republic of Armenia and Nigeria.
List of the ecclesiastical Christian denomination and rite groups can be found in Annex 1.
Please note that only letters of recommendation issued by those ecclesiastical Christian denomination and rite groups listed in the Annex 1. will be accepted.
Degree programmes at bachelor level, one tier master’s and master programmes are open to all applicants, while doctoral programmes are open to those applicants who have completed their master studies in the frame of the Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People in Hungary or are registered for the last semester of their studies in the 2021/2022 academic year as Scholarship for Christian Young People scholarship holders.
Local Churches are to verify and prove that the applicant belongs to their religious community. Only those applicants can be awarded with the scholarship who have the recommendation from the Local Church, and their recommendation is approved by the State Secretariat for the Aid of Persecuted Christians and for the Hungary Helps Program. As part of the selection procedure Local Churches of eligible sending countries have the right to rank applicants.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
Tuition-free education o exemption from the payment of tuition fee
Monthly stipend – bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s level: monthly amount of HUF 166,600 (cca. EUR 450) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies.
Doctoral level: the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140,000 (cca EUR 380) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (cca EUR 490) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- Accommodation o free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000 to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period.
- Please note that the HUF 40 000/month (cca. EUR 110) is only a contribution to rental costs if the student does not live in the dormitory. In bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.
- Reimbursement of travel costs o HUF 200,000 /academic year (cca. EUR 550) Medical insurance o health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65,000 (cca. EUR 180) a year/person Please bear in mind that these provisions are only a contribution to the living expenses of the Scholarship Holders. It means that the monthly stipend does not fully cover all the costs of living, and therefore, scholarship holders might need to add their own
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Application Form
- Motivation Letter
- Academic Certificate and transcripts
- Research results: Published thesis, award certificates, etc. to prove their academic achievements and research capabilities.
- A Study Plan or Research Proposal (Where Applicable)
- Two Recommendation Letters
- Medical Certificate
- ID Card
Method of Application
All applications shall be submitted through the online application system of the Programme. After registration, the applicants will be able to access the application system and upload the required documents.
Applications should be submitted; only saved applications will not be considered. Applications can only be submitted by clicking on the “submit” button in the application system. Please note that no applications will be accepted out of the online submission and after the deadline. No hard copies are required.