The Government of Japan has opened applications for the 2022 Japan Study Support Scholarships for international students willing to pursue an undergraduate or a postgraduate degree in Japanese universities.
The scholarship comes with a 500,000 Yen as financial support towards tuition, living and accommodation expenses in the first year of study after an applicant must have received admission from a Japanese university.
Most of the scholarships are intended for international students studying at universities and colleges in Japan. Although intimidating, applying for scholarships in Japan are actually achievable. As long as you adhere to the academic, age, financial requirements, getting a scholarship can be as simple as breathing
- Host Country: Japan
- Study Abroad: Study in Asia
- Category: Undergraduate Scholarships | Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: 500,000 Yen ($3,844 Grant)
- Deadline: May 31, 2022 (JST)
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
Japan Study Support Scholarships is welcoming international students from all over the world except Japanese citizens who wish to start their higher education institution in Japan.
All scholarship recipients are required to submit periodic reports throughout their scholarship period (a few times per year). These reports may be posted onto the JPSS website and/or published in one of the related information booklets.
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria.
- Has been accepted to enroll in a Japanese university undergraduate or graduate degree program starting spring (April/ May) of 2022 or autumn (September – November) of 2022, and enrollment has been confirmed. (Students participating in Japanese language programs and short term programs are not eligible)
- Has a registered MY PAGE with JAPAN STUDY SUPPORT (hereinafter JPSS), a website of information for international students that is jointly run by the Asian Students Cultural Association and Benesse Corporation.
- Has received a message from aforesaid university via the “JPSS Scout function” prior to acceptance.
- Is able to interview in either Japanese or English.
- Has a Japanese bank account (in the applicant’s name) in to which scholarship money can be paid. Internet banks will not be accepted.
- Is not a Japanese citizen.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- 500,000 yen financial support paid to ONE successful applicanst after he/she has enrolled into their specified Japanese university.
- 100,000 yen financial support paid to TWO successful applicanst after he/she has enrolled into their specified Japanese university.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Application form (basic information)
- Short essay (Up to 350 English words or 800 Japanese characters on your ‘Motivation to Study in Japan & Future Goals’. Applicants are strongly encouraged to write up to the word limit.)
- Self Introduction Video (no more than 30 seconds in length)
- If any of the application documents or materials are found to contain false information, the application will be rejected and all and any scholarship already paid out must be paid back.
- If a successful candidate does not complete, dropsout or is expelled from their higher education course all and any scholarship money must be paid back.
- All scholarship recipients are required to submit periodic reports throughout their scholarship period (a few times per year). These reports may be posted onto the JPSS website and/or published in one of the related information booklets. Recipients may also be required to attend JPSS events and/or accept interviews. JPSS will contact recipients with details on these reports and events/interviews after notification of acceptance.
- While JPSS is run jointly by the Asian Students Cultural Association and Benesse Corporation, all scholarships offered by JPSS are provided by the Benesse Corporation.
Method of Application
Click on the button below to commence your application.