The award of the scholarships listed is based on application selection results. Only applicants that are accepted for enrolment in the UNU- masters and doctoral degree programmes can be considered as candidates for the scholarships.
UNU-IAS offers master’s and doctoral degree programmes focused on sustainability. The programmes aim to produce the policymakers and researchers of tomorrow, who will be at the forefront of global efforts towards a more sustainable future.
- Host Country: Japan
- Study Abroad: Study in Asia
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Developing Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | 5 Millon Naira Yearly Stipend
- Deadline: February 21, 2022
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
The United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations over 30 years ago in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University.
Today it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency ï¿½ providing a range of services from policy advice to governments as well as freely available original research.
To be considered for the scholarship, you must:
- Applicants must be persons from developing countries (included in the latest OECD DAC list) who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship
- Applicants who want to pursue a second master’s degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The JFUNU scholarship: provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
*The amount of monthly allowance is 120,000 JPY (2021 rate).
- The UNU Rector’s scholarship: provides a monthly allowance of 130,000 JPY (subject to change) for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, will be covered by the scholarship. The tuition fees are covered by the donor for the scholarship recipients.
- The Resona Bank scholarship: provides a monthly allowance of 130,000 JPY (subject to change) for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, will be covered by the scholarship (up to JPY 260,000). The tuition fees are covered by the donor for the scholarship recipients.
- Asian Development Bank–Japan Scholarship Program: Provides full tuition, subsistence allowance including housing allowance, medical and accident insurance, books, and instrumental allowance will be covered by the scholarship. The monthly subsistence allowance including housing allowance for one person for the academic year 2021 is JPY 147,000 (subject to change for the academic year 2022). An economy class airfare will also be provided for the most direct route between the scholar’s home country and Tokyo Narita International Airport.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Personal Identification Document
- Proof of Awarded Degree
- Proof of Expected Graduation and Student Registration Certificate (if applicable)
- Additional Documents for Scholarship Application, or a Letter from the Sponsor (if applicable)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
- Two Letters of Reference
Method of Application
FOR MORE DETAILS: CLICK HERE
1. Review the checklist below and prepare the application materials.
2. Register Online
3. Receive an email from UNU-IAS Admissions Office with a link to the Application Form.
4. Submit the Application Form by the deadline* (21 February 2022).
5. Receive an automatic email to confirm that the Admissions Office has received the Application Form. Applicants who have been shortlisted for an interview:
6. Receive an email regarding when and how to submit the following supporting documents.
7. Submit the supporting documents via email by the deadline* (Expected in late-March 2022).
*After the applicant submits the Application Form, referees will receive an email from the Admissions Office to notify that they have been registered as referees. Only in case the applicant has been shortlisted for an interview, referees will be directly contacted by the Admissions Office regarding the request for providing reference by the deadline (Expected in late-March 2022). Applicants are not allowed to send reference letters to the Admissions
21 February: Deadline for applications
Late-March: Invitation to an interview and requests for submitting supporting documents by email only to the shortlisted applicants
Early-April: Interviews (Shortlisted applicants only) Late-April onwards: Announcement of application results only to the successful applicants
* The above timelines are subject to change.