The 2023 Government of Japan MEXT Scholarship at the University of Tokyo has been announced for international students to study in Japan.
We are on twitter, follow us to connect with us - @scholarsregion— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) January 13, 2022
The MEXT Scholarship is a fully funded award that covers the tuition fees of selected students and also provides them with annual stipends worth JPY1,774,000 ($12,764) per year while also covering the full tuition fees at the University of Tokyo.
An additional monthly stipend of 3,000 yen may be added to those students undertaking study or research in some designated regions of the country.
Several other scholarships in the United States, Germany, United Kingdom, and Canada offer full scholarships and monthly allowances. Here are some suggestions you should check out;
- 2022 Stamps Scholars Program for International Students | offers Full Scholarships and $75,000 annual stipends
- 2022 Dalhousie University Postgraduate Scholarships for International Students | offers Full Scholarships and $50,000 annual stipend.
- 2022 IAEA Marie-Curie Scholarship Programme for International Students | offers Full Scholarships and €20,000 annual stipend.
- Host Country: Japan
- Study Abroad: Study in Asia
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship
- Tuition fees
- $12,764 (JPY1,774,000) per year
- Application Opens: October 1, 2022
- Deadline: October 28, 2022
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
Applications for University Recommended Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship 2023/2024 for International Students are now open.
To be considered for the MEXT Scholarships, you must:
- Be International students with outstanding academic records
- have already graduated from your latest degree program should have a final grade point of 2.30 or higher, while current students should have a grade point of 2.30 or higher for your current courses, and both should be expected to maintain the same academic standards during the course of the scholarship program.
- meet the English Language Proficiency criteria
- have the nationality of a country with diplomatic relations with the Japanese government.
- be born on or after April 2, 1988.
- apply for the field of study that they studied at their previous university or a related field. Applicants should select a field that they are able to research at their chosen host university in Japan.
- be physically and mentally healthy enough to pursue their studies in Japan.
- in principle, be able to arrive in Japan by a date specified by the accepting university which in principle shall be within two weeks before or after the first day of the semester (October 1, 2023).
MORE SCHOLARSHIPS ABROAD | CHECK NOW
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- Enrollment and Tuition fees will be exempted.
- Monthly Allowance: 144,000 yen/month (for a student of a Master’s Program), or 145,000 yen/month (for a student of a Doctoral Program)(an additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen may be added to those students undertaking study or research in some designated regions of the country).
- Recipients awarded travel allowance will be provided, according to the itinerary and route designated for them by MEXT, with an economy class air ticket from the international airport closest to their place of residence
- MEXT will issue airline tickets to recipients who return to their home country within the final month of the scholarship period
For a recipient who will enroll in a Master’s Program or Doctoral Program, the scholarship will be payable for the standard period of time necessary for the recipient to complete his or her program (standard course term), starting from October 2023.
- Master’s Program = October, 2023 – September, 2025 (2years)
- Doctoral Program = October, 2023 – September, 2026 (3years)
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Application Form
- Field of Study and Research Plan
- Letter of recommendation from
An official transcript from the last university attended (at undergraduate or graduate level). If you are currently enrolled in a university (at undergraduate or graduate level), please submit an official transcript of the last degree program (Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD) that you have graduate from, as well as an official transcript of your current degree program.
- Passport-type photo taken within the last 6 months (4.5 x 3.5 cm, upper-body, full-faced, without a cap)
- Proof of language ability certifying that one of the Language Proficiency
- Abstract of graduation thesis
- Official statement of (expected) graduation of the last university attended.
- A copy of the student’s passport (The page with photo).
Method of Application
- Applicants must submit the required documents for MEXT Scholarship after completing their admission application for entering the Master’s/Doctoral Program, following the “Instructions for International Students applying to the Graduate School of Science (Special Selection for International Applicants)”.
- These documents must be written in either Japanese or English. They must be created in A4 format using software such as MS Word and must be printed double-sided (duplex printing). A document written in any other language must be accompanied with a Japanese translation.
- Submitted documents will not be returned.
- An application passed the submission deadline is not acceptable.
- An application will not be considered unless all application forms and necessary documents are completed correctly and all accompanying documents are complete.
- In some countries, a graduation certificate and other documents are issued by a government administrative office. In this case, the University of Tokyo may need to confirm with a student’s previous university that the certificate issued contains no erroneous information.
After nomination by the Graduate School of Science, nominees for the MEXT selection will be decided in a selection process for the entire University of Tokyo. After the University of Tokyo nominates its candidates, the grantees will be decided upon screening at MEXT.
Applicants must submit the required documents to apply for the MEXT Scholarship after applying for admission to the Graduate School of Science (Master’s/Doctoral Program).
The nominees selected by the Graduate School of Science will be notified by e-mail in mid-February, 2023. The unsuccessful candidates are also notified by e-mail.
The nominees selected at the University of Tokyo selection stage will be further notified by e-mail in April 2023. The candidates found unsuccessful at this stage are also notified by e-mail.
Interested and qualified candidates should click on the button below to begin their application.