Doctoral scholarships are awarded by the University of Otago Council, on the recommendation of
the Senate, to candidates proceeding to a course of supervised doctoral study at this
These scholarships are normally available only to students seeking to obtain their
first doctoral qualification. Candidates may be awarded one University of Otago doctoral
The Scholarship is available to both domestic and international students. Candidates for professional doctorates, as well as the PhD, are welcome to apply.
The scholarship is also available at every period of the year for all domestic and international students.
To be considered for the University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship, applicants are to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants may be a domestic or an international student seeking to obtain their first doctoral qualification.
- Applicants must demonstrate excellent academic and research abilities.
- Applicants must have obtained relevant bachelor and master’s degree from a reputable institution of higher learning.
- Applicants must be willing to abide by the rules and regulations governing the conduct of students at the University.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- Tenure of a doctoral scholarship isfor three full-time years(or part-time equivalent), or
until the thesis is submitted (whichever period is the shorter), subject to the provision
of satisfactory annual Progress Reports by the Department in which the student is
registered. For candidates in professional doctorates, tenure may also cover periods of
coursework prior to and after the thesis enrolment period, but will not exceed three
- Doctor of Philosophy – NZ$28,600 stipend per annum plus a domestic tuition fees waiver for 36 months (excludes student services fee and insurance)
- Professional Doctorates (DClinDent, DMA, DBA, EDd) – NZ$28,600 stipend per annum plus a tuition fee waiver for up to 36 months capped at the domestic rate (excludes student services fee and insurance).
Method of Application
Applications for scholarships are made online through the University’s website. An invitation to apply for scholarships is sent once an application for admission to the relevant qualification is complete. Applications may be made at any time and should normally accompany the application for admission to the relevant qualification.
Click on the button below to commence your application.