Mo Ibrahim Foundation University of London PhD scholarships – The Centre of African Studies, School of African Studies (SOAS) University of London offers 2 PhDs to African nationals as part of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
We are on twitter, follow us to connect with us - @scholarsregion— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) January 13, 2022
The Centre of African Studies at SOAS, University of London, is pleased to announce the extension of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative, funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, for another three years,. The focus of the project remains the same in terms of creating a dedicated environment to support the study of the socio-economic, political, and legal links between governance and development.
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation has generously provided SOAS with two PhD scholarships every year for African students undertaking a full?time PhD and Masters programme in the field of Governance for Development in Africa.
- Host Country: United Kingdom (UK)
- Study Abroad: Study in UK
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | £5,000 Annual Stipend
- Deadline: March 31, 2023
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation (MIF) is an African foundation, established in 2006 with one focus: the critical importance of governance and leadership in Africa. It is our belief that governance and leadership lie at the heart of any tangible and shared improvement in the quality of life of African citizens.
LEADERSHIP AND GOVERNANCE IN AFRICA Leadership is about making choices, defining priorities, and taking risks. Governance is about properly documenting and effectively implementing these choices.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp
To be considered for the Scholarship, you must:
- Candidates must be domiciled (or permanent residents) in an African country.
- Preference will be given to scholarship candidates living in Sub?Saharan Africa.
Selection Criteria: Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- PhD: The scholarship is on a part?present form and it provides for fees for three years. However, accommodation and living cost are covered for the first year only.
- The scholarship will also cover in total 2 return flights : one during the first year, and one for the viva (plus one week’s accommodation around the viva).
- In year 2 and year 3, the successful candidate will also receive an annual stipend of £5,000.
- We also cover visa cost, provided receipts are submitted to the Centre of African Studies office.
- We expect students to be on fieldwork during the second year, and to write the thesis in the third year in their country of origin.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- A copy of the unconditional offer received from SOAS admissions office
- CV (please include your email address)
- 2 pages max statement outlining knowledge and interest in governance-related issues
- Your research proposal (as sent to the SOAS Admissions Office)
Method of Application
please inform us about your Referee name (name + affiliated institution) and instruct them to send your reference letter directly to email@example.com
NOTE: By 31st of March you must have an Unconditional offer for PhD in order to be considered for funding. Note that it takes 8 weeks to receive an offer of admission for PhD, therefore to apply for the PhD at least or before January 2023.
Deadline: March 31, 2023
Have any questions? – Click HERE to let us know and we will be glad to help | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive Scholarship Updates through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: Scholarship Region WhatsApp
- Facebook: Scholars Region
- Twitter: @scholarsregion
- Telegram: Scholarship Region