Since 2018, the Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University has welcomed 46 rising leaders from 36 countries who have demonstrated a commitment to finding solutions to challenges in their communities, countries, and regions
We are on twitter, follow us to connect with us - @scholarsregion— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) January 13, 2022
Boost you scholarship journey! Follow us on twitter @scholarsregion for the latest updates and access to community support from scholars across the world.— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) November 8, 2021
Scholars who were, on average, 33 years of age, with ages ranging from 25 to 45
Emerging institutional and movement leaders addressing a range of challenges, including strengthening governance, increasing access to high-quality healthcare, environmental sustainability, and promoting women’s rights and ending gender-based violence
- Host: Obama Foundation Scholar
- Study Abroad: Study in USA
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Training | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Accommodation | Study in Columbia University
- Deadline: December 22, 2021
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
Students receive their IMES when they enter their first year at UBC, and the scholarships are renewable for up to three additional years of study.
The number and level of these scholarships awarded each year vary, depending on available funding.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp
The Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University seeks rising leaders from the United States and around the world who meet the following criteria:
- Are emerging leaders who have made meaningful contributions to their field and are now at a “breakthrough moment” in their careers
- Have a proven commitment to service and leadership within a community, region or country, coupled with a demonstrated commitment to return to these communities following their completion of the program and apply their enhanced training, skills, and connections on a long-term basis for the benefit of these communities
- Are fluent in English (verbal, written and spoken)
- Have the ability and inclination to positively shape the future of their community
- Have a demonstrated commitment to inclusivity, community-orientation, hope, courage, imagination, strategy, accountability, integrity and resilience
Scholarship Duration and Reward
Monthly stipend to assist with living expenses in New York City
A furnished studio apartment within walking distance of Columbia University, if the program is able to convene in person
All tuition and fees for up to four courses at Columbia University
Basic medical, dental and life insurance for the duration of the program in New York City, if the program is able to convene in person
Air travel to and from home country and any program-related activities, if the program is able to convene in person
A complete application, submitted entirely online, includes the following materials:
- Complete online application form
- Resume/curriculum vitae
The resume/curriculum vitae should be a chronological listing of your employment and academic history, and other significant activities, including any awards, publications, or other achievements․
- Personal video statement
The personal video statement should be a short video (no longer than three minutes in length) introducing the applicant and their work to the selection committee. Applicants will upload their video statement to a video hosting service, like YouTube or Vimeo, and will include a link to their video in the online application. Additional information on the requirements for the personal video statement can be found in the online application.
- Responses to short essay questions
The short essay questions help the selection committee understand the applicant’s work, their motivation and how the program fits into their career trajectory. Applicants will submit their essay questions in the online application.
- Proof of English proficiency
Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting scores from one of four exams: The internet-based or paper-based exams of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic); or the Duolingo English Test (DET). No other exams will be accepted.
This requirement is waived for applicants who:
- have completed an undergraduate degree – not a master’s or graduate degree – in a country where English is an official language;
- have previously taken the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, or DET exams in the last five years and scored at or above the minimum requirement of 100 (TOEFL-IBT), 600 (TOEFL-PBT), 7.0 (IELTS), 68 (PTE Academic), or 120 (DET; 75 on the DET taken prior to July 2019). If applicants qualify for a waiver under this exception, they must upload a scanned copy of their score report to the online application to ensure their application is eligible for review. If they did not score at or above the required minimum or no longer have a copy of their old results, they must retake an English proficiency exam.
- TOEFL – Internet-Based Exam: 100
- TOEFL – Paper-Based Exam: 600
- International English Language Testing System Academic: 7
- Pearson Test of English Academic: 68
- Duolingo English Test: 120 (75 on the exam taken prior to July 2019)
Please note that while applicants who received scores below the posted minimums may still apply, applications are not guaranteed to be reviewed.
- Two letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required from individuals who are familiar with the applicant and the applicant’s work in an academic, professional or community service setting. Recommendations should directly address the applicant’s suitability for admission to the Obama Foundation Scholars program. Recommendations should not be written by family members or friends.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should apply using the links provided below.
Deadline: December 22, 2021
Have any questions? – Click HERE to let us know and we will be glad to help.
Receive Alerts on: WhatsApp: Scholarship Region WhatsApp, Twitter: @scholarsregion, Telegram: Scholarship Region, Facebook: Scholarship Region