The P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship Fund (IPS) has been in operation since 1949. Believing that education is fundamental to global peace and understanding, members of the P.E.O. Sisterhood contribute funds for the purpose of providing scholarships for women from other countries for study in the U.S. and Canada.
The scholarship is based upon demonstrated need; however, the award is not intended to cover all academic or personal expenses. At the time of application, the applicant is required to indicate additional financial resources adequate to meet her estimated expenses.
Examples of additional resources are personal and family funds, tuition waivers, work scholarships, teaching assistantships, study grants and other scholarships.
- Host Country: United States or Canada
- Study Abroad: Study in USA | Study in Canada
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: $12,500
- Deadline: December 15, 2021
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
P.E.O. was founded on January 21, 1869, by seven students at Iowa Wesleyan College in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. This circle of kindred spirits – bonded by their enthusiasm for women’s opportunities – eventually expanded to include women off campus as well.
Through membership, the P.E.O. Sisterhood has brought together more than a half a million women in the United States and Canada who are passionate about helping women advance through education, while supporting and motivating them.
To be considered for the Scholarship:
- An applicant must have a full year of coursework remaining, be enrolled and in residence for the entire school year. to qualify for her first scholarship.
- International students attending Cottey College are eligible to apply for a scholarship.
- A student who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada is not eligible.
- These scholarships are not given for online courses, research, internships or for practical training if not combined with coursework.
- Doctoral students who have completed coursework and are working only on dissertations are not eligible as first-time applicants.
- A student with residency for tax purposes only is permitted.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The maximum scholarship amount for one (1) year (12 months) of study is $12,500, based upon need. Lesser amounts may be awarded according to individual need.
- The scholarships are given as GRANTS-INAID and are not intended to cover all academic or personal expenses. At the time of application, the applicant is required to submit a budget of estimated expenses and all anticipated additional financial resources. “Additional financial resources” may include personal and family funds, tuition waivers, work scholarships, teaching assistantships, study grants, other scholarships and loans. Additional financial resources do not need to be confirmed at the time the budget is submitted.
- The scholarship awarded is for one (1) year of study from August to June or August to August. C. The Award 1. Announcement of awards is made in May. The amount of the scholarship will be divided into two (2) payments. The first payment is distributed upon receipt of the student’s completed acceptance paperwork and confirmation of enrollment.
- The second payment is distributed in December uponreceipt of the student’s confirmation of continuing enrollment, which is due no later than November 30. All scholarship funds must be paid by December 15.
Method of Application
A. Application Material
- Information concerning the International Peace Scholarship program is available from P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship Fund, P.E.O. Executive Office, 3700 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa 50312-2899 or by visiting www.peointernational.org.
- Eligibility must be established before application material is sent to applicants. The eligibility information is available from www.peointernational.org at any time but the completed form will be accepted electronically in the IPS office only between September 15 and December 15.
- Application material will be sent to Cottey College applicants after they have been admitted to Cottey and recommended by the director of admission.