TechWomen Program for Emerging Leaders aims to empower, connect and support the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) by providing them access and opportunity to advance their careers, pursue their dreams, and become role models for women and girls in their communities. TechWomen supports the United States’ global commitment toward advancing the rights and participation of women and girls around the world by enabling them to reach their full potential in the tech industry.
TechWomen brings emerging women leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) from Africa, Central and South Asia, and the Middle East together with their professional counterparts in the United States for a mentorship and exchange program. TechWomen provides participants access to networks, resources and knowledge to empower them to reach their full potential.
TechWomen Program Summary
TechWomen Program Details:
The mission of TechWomen is to empower, connect and support the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) by providing them with the access and opportunity needed to advance their careers, pursue their dreams, and become role models for women and girls in their communities.
During the five-week program, participants engage in project-based mentorships at leading companies in the San Francisco Bay Area or Chicago, participate in professional development workshops and networking events, and travel to Washington, DC. for targeted meetings and special events to conclude the program.
Over the past twelve years, more than 1,000 women from Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kenya, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, Uzbekistan, Yemen and Zimbabwe have participated in TechWomen.
Eligibility Requirements for 2024 TechWomen Program
To be considered for the TechWomen Program for Emerging Leaders, applicants must:
- Be women with, at minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields. Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience does not count toward the two-year professional experience requirement.
- Have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent.
- Be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Be citizens and permanent residents of Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan or Zimbabwe at the time of application and while participating in the program.
- Be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa.
- Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States (other than the Diversity Immigrant Visa, also known as the “visa lottery”) in the past five years.
- Not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Benefits of 2024 TechWomen Program
The following costs are covered by the TechWomen program:
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Domestic airfare from San Francisco or Chicago to Washington, D.C.
- Housing in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, California, Emeryville, California or Chicago, Illinois during the mentorship period
- Meals and incidentals
- Hotel stay in Washington, D.C.
- Public transportation to the participant’s host company
- Local transportation to group program events in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, Illinois, and Washington, D.C.
Participants are responsible for the cost of any non program activities such as independent sightseeing and cultural events, as well as any non program-related domestic or international travel.
TechWomen participants will be housed in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, California, Emeryville, California or Chicago, Illinois, depending on the location of the participant’s host company. Participants will share an apartment with a fellow Emerging Leader. Each participant will have her own private bedroom, while the living room and kitchen will be shared.
How to Apply for TechWomen Program
To apply for the TechWomen Program, interested applicants should use the “CLICK HERE TO APPLY” button to complete the application processes.