University Of British Columbia MasterCard Foundation Scholarship is currently welcoming Master’s degree applications from students of Sub-Saharan Africa. to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.
We are on twitter, follow us to connect with us - @scholarsregion— Scholarship Region (@scholarsregion) January 13, 2022
University Of British Columbia Scholarship Summary
University Of British Columbia Scholarship Details:
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of British Columbia is currently welcoming applications for Master’s degree into the Fall 2024 intake for the following courses:
Faculty of Forestry
Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM)
Master of International Forestry (MIF)
Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM)
Faculty of Land and Food Systems
Master of Food and Resource Economics (MFRE)
Master of Food Science (MFS)
Master of Land and Water Systems (MLWS)
Faculty of Science
Master of Data Science
University of British Columbia stands as one of the pioneering Canadian universities to join The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, participating in a $500 million global education initiative alongside 14 other institutions.
Eligibility Requirements for University Of British Columbia 2024 Scholarship
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at University Of British Columbia, the applicant must:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- not already have a graduate or PhD degree;
- be 35 years old or younger at the time of application (i.e. born in 1988 or after);
- be a citizen or a refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country
- have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances
- show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to their home community
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- not be a person who claimed or will claim asylum or protected person status after arriving in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following faculties and programs at University Of British Columbia’s Vancouver campus;
- Faculty of Forestry
- Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM)
- Master of International Forestry (MIF)
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM)
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Master of Food and Resource Economics (MFRE)
- Master of Food Science (MFS)
- Master of Land and Water Systems (MLWS)
- Faculty of Science
- Master of Data Science
- Faculty of Forestry
Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program only covers the expenses of the admitted scholars.
Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents are not eligible to apply for this award.
Funds from the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC cannot be applied to pursue programs at other academic institutions.
Benefits of University Of British Columbia MasterCard Foundation 2024 Sholarship
Chosen students will be granted a scholarship covering all expenses associated with earning a degree, encompassing travel, tuition, textbooks, housing, food, and living expenses. Additionally, you will receive comprehensive support in the areas of finance, academics, social engagement, and post-graduation assistance, fostering the development of crucial experiences and competencies essential for academic achievement.
Required Documents for University Of British Columbia Scholarship
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application Form.
- Personal Statements. An answer to each question not exceeding the word limit must be typed and submitted, essay format is not acceptable:
- Submit a CV/resume. This should include any relevant education and work experience
- Provide two reference letters.
- Transcripts. Please attach a legible copy of your (unofficial) transcripts. If your transcripts are in a language other than English, note that you will be required to also provide a translation.
- Submit the Checklist, Application Form, Personal Statements, CV, two reference letters on official letterhead, transcripts, and signed declaration.
- Please tell us your story. What is of importance to you and reflects who you are? (200-300 words max.)
- Describe a recent, meaningful involvement in your community, including what your role is/has been in the activity/ies. (200-300 words max.)
- Why are you interested in studying at UBC, and how do you envision your chosen program of study at UBC helping you to reach your long-term career and personal goals? What drives you to achieve your goals? (200 – 300 words max.)
- Persistence is crucial to the completion of this application. Please describe a situation where you had to overcome a significant obstacle/challenge(s) to reach a goal. How did you react to this challenge, and what did you learn from the situation? (200 – 300 words max.)
- What else should we know about your financial condition in order to consider you for this scholarship? (200-300 words max.)
How to Apply for University Of British Columbia MasterCard Foundation Scholarship (Step by Step)
Please read through all the application steps outlined below before proceeding to the application. This will help you understand the entire application process of the University of British Columbia MasterCard Foundation Scholarship, answer any questions that may arise, and help you avoid any errors.
- Step One: Assess Your Eligibility
- Decide your Program(s) of Interest from the list.
- Consult the program website to determine if you possess the appropriate background experience.
- Step Two: Additional Tests
- If your Bachelor’s degree was not taught in English, make arrangements to take an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS) and have the results sent to UBC. Please visit this website to confirm whether you meet UBC’s English requirement.
- Step Three: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application Package
- You must complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application before you apply to UBC. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Applications are due on December 1, 2023. We ask that all applications be submitted electronically in a single PDF document, via email as this is faster and costs less. Late or incomplete packages cannot be accepted and UBC is not responsible for any packages not received by the deadline.
- In order for the Selection Committee to determine your eligibility for this scholarship, you must demonstrate financial need, a commitment to give back and how your education will contribute towards the transformation of your community, your region or your country in Africa and submit the required documents.
- Step Four: UBC Faculty Applications
- Apply Online: Once your Mastercard Foundation Application is complete, eligible applicants will receive an email with instructions to submit an online application to UBC:
- Review the instructions for faculty application
- Application Fees: You may be eligible for a fee waiver if your citizenship and correspondence address is located in one of the world’s 50 least developed countries, according to the United Nations.
- If your country is not listed above, please request a fee waiver when you are submitting your Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program application package. If you are invited to move to the Faculty Application step, we will provide instruction on how to use a fee waiver during the program application process. If you submit your application without applying your fee waiver, we are unable to provide a refund.
- Step Five: Reviewing Process
- In February 2024, faculties will nominate candidates for admission for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship. A university-wide selection committee will review scholarship applications from the three faculties, rank them and select award recipients. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted at this time and invited to submit a video interview.
- In April 2024, only the Mastercard Foundation Scholar award recipients will be contacted and soon thereafter an announcement of award recipients will be made. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are not able to respond to applicants who have not received the scholarship.