The World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program matches aspiring development economics researchers from developing countries with World Bank research economists, creating unique opportunities for the fellows to participate in rigorous policy-relevant research in the World Bank’s Development Economics Vice Presidency (DEC). Fellows will be hosted at the World Bank in Washington, D.C. for 8 months (September to May each year) and work under the supervision of researchers in the World Bank’s Development Impact Evaluation (DIME) and Development Research Group departments, engaging in high-quality and policy-relevant research projects.
World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program Summary
World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program Details:
By working with World Bank DEC researchers and their external academic collaborators from top universities, fellows will learn current research standards, acquire new econometric skills, and network with leading researchers in their field. They will have a unique opportunity to participate in rigorous policy-relevant research and widen their perspective on potential development questions, and how their research can address challenges in the developing world.
Eligibility Requirements for 2024 World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program:
To be considered for the World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program, applicants must be:
- Nationals of World Bank WBG member countries, with preference to nationals of developing countries
- Fluent in English
- Graduates of master’s level studies or currently pursuing a PhD in Economics or a related field
- No more than 35 years of age (by June 30 2024)
- Available to relocate to Washington, D.C. for the duration of the fellowship.
Benefits of World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program:
The program offers a competitive compensation, totaling $46,500 net of income taxes for the 2023-24 cohort, per fellow for an 8-month fellowship (paid in monthly installments). Since the fellows will be hosted at the World Bank in Washington D.C., the World Bank’s HR Operations unit will assist the selected candidates with their application for G4 visa.
Required Documents for World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program:
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- An updated CV
- A statement of purpose describing their research interests, professional objectives, and discussing their qualifications as development researchers
- Contact details for a reference who can provide a letter of recommendation (letters will only be requested for shortlisted candidates)
- A writing sample (optional)
- A code sample (optional)
How to Apply for 2024 World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program:
Interested and qualified applicants should use the “CLICK HERE TO APPLY” button to proceed to the application page.