The African Union Civic Tech Fund is a pan-African competition that aims to accelerate innovative civic tech initiatives that have the potential to lead to citizen-led transformative action across the African continent.
This rests on the recognition that there is an acute need for meaningful participation by African citizens in addressing and solving governance and development challenges across the continent.
The overarching policy framework for the African Union Civic Tech Fund is Africa’s Agenda 2063 as well as other key policy documents associated with the African Union Shared Values agenda
African Union Shared Values agenda, such as the ACDEG or the African Youth Charter. Initiatives should therefore provide innovative solutions to solve problems of citizen participation, across a number of relevant areas:
- Participation in public space & public discourse;
- Electoral cycles and elections;
- Rule of law & orderly transfers of power between governments;
- Democratic culture and political pluralism;
- Responsive, transparent and accountable governance;
- Peace and security (where it impacts democratic governance);
- Human, economic and sustainable development (where it impacts democratic
To be eligible for the African Union Civic Tech Fund, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a not-for-profit and for-profit organisations acting within the civic space & the civic tech ecosystem.
- The organization must be a legal entity and be registered in an African Union Member State.
- Must be able to sign a service contract agreement.
- The organization must not be bankrupt.
- The organization must not have been the subject of a judgment for fraud, corruption, involvement in a criminal organization or any other illegal activity.
- The organization must not have received an adverse audit opinion, either by its own auditors or its donor’s auditors.
- The organization can demonstrate how the intervention supported through the Fund will be sustained.
- The organization can already show evidence of the impact of their work and can indicate how additional resources will increase their impact.
Method of Application
Interested and eligible organizations for the African Union Civic Tech Fund are to complete an online application form by the application deadline.
Only applications submitted via the online application form will be considered.