The University of Münster (German: Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster, WWU) is a public research university located in the city of Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany. It is Germany’s fifth largest university and one of the foremost centers of German intellectual life.
International Major Entrance Scholarships (IMES) are awarded to exceptional international students entering undergraduate programs at UBC.
This position is tied to working towards a doctorate (Dr. rer. nat.) in any of the fields of mathematics related to the Cluster of Excellence Mathematics Münster. Employees may be required to teach up to 3 hours per week during the semester depending on the source of funding.
The University of Münster is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the proportion of women academics. Consequently, we actively encourage applications by women. Female candidates with equivalent qualifications and academic achievements will be preferentially considered within the framework of the legal possibilities.
The University of Münster is committed to employing more staff with disabilities. Candidates with recognised severe disabilities who have equivalent qualifications are given preference in hiring decisions.
- A master’s degree or equivalent in mathematics or a related field is required.
The ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team is expected.
- A high level of motivation and enjoyment in scientific work is expected.
- Good English communication skills are required; German language skills are not a requirement.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The programme commences at the earliest possible date and no later than October 2022, in all fields of mathematics related to the work of the Cluster of Excellence Mathematics Münster: “Dynamics – Geometry –Structure”.
- Doctoral researchers profit from the amenities of the Cluster of Excellence and the Mathematics Münster Graduate School, including receiving funding for conference travel or summer schools, having opportunities to co-organize academic events and participating in numerous networking opportunities and events.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
Applications should contain a cover letter, CV, copies of degree certificates (bachelor’s, master’s or German Diplom and full academic transcripts, as well as proof of proficiency in English.
Applicants are invited to include examples of their academic work if appropriate.
Applicants should also nominate at least two potential local supervisors listed as an investigator in an associated research area at Mathematics Münster.Please arrange for at least two letters of recommendation to be sent directly to [email protected] before 1 May 2022. (please note the information for referees below)
If possible, we kindly ask you to consider the following questions/points in your letter:
- Since when and in which capacity have you known the applicant?
- Please assess the applicant’s intellectual and analytic strength, their mathematical knowledge, their technical mathematical skills, their ambition and their independence.
- Please describe the applicant’s attitude towards academic work, their reliability and their ability for team work.
- Comment on the applicant’s proficiency in English.
- Would you accept this applicant as a graduate student at your own institution?
Method of Application
Click on the button below to commence your application.