African Liberty Essay Competition is open to any African student currently enrolled in any undergraduate or graduate program at any accredited university worldwide.
African Liberty identify and train young promising African freedom advocates in professional critical writing and help them kick-start careers in journalism and public policy by working with Africa-focused think tanks and partner media outlets.
Essay Title: Pathways to Protecting Free Speech in Africa: Opportunities for New Approaches to an Old Problem
Word count: 800 maximum
- Entry must be solution-oriented
- Entry must be specific in arguments and recommendations
- Solutions with unique outlooks are strongly encouraged
To be considered for the African Liberty Essay Competition:
- Entry should be in English language, with non-English words italicized.
- Entry must be original.
- Entry must be submitted as a PDF with the writer’s name and email address provided on the first page.
- No footnotes or citation
- Quotations should be limited
- Essay must be in Times New Roman, 12-point font, and justified.
- Winner: $500 cash prize
- First runner-up: $300 cash prize
- Second runner-up: $200 cash price
- Third and Fourth runners-up: $100 each.
- The top 5 entries will be published on African Liberty and Students For Liberty platforms.
Method of Application
All entries should be submitted via the link below.