The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) for the advancement of science in developing countries works to support sustainable prosperity through research, education, policy and diplomacy.
TWAS with Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology in India, established a fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in biotechnology.
Several other scholarships are available in the United States, Germany, United Kingdom and Canada that offers full scholarships and monthly allowances. Here are some suggestions you should check out;
- The 2022 University of Michigan-Dearborn Undergraduate Scholarship in USA | offers Full Scholarships and $10,000 annual stipend.
- The 2022 DAAD Friedrich Ebert Foundation Scholarship to study in Germany | offers Full Scholarships and €12,444 annual stipends
- 2022 University of Maine Scholarships to study in USA | offers Full Scholarships and $23,000 annual stipends
- Host Country: India
- Study Abroad: Study in Asia
- Category: PhD Scholarships | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: Developing Countries in the South
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Monthly stipend | Health Insurance
- Deadline: September 15, 2022
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years with English as the language of instructions.
Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India.
Offers students to study in any of the following fields;
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences (incl. Neurosciences)
- Chemical Sciences
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp
To be considered for the Scholarship, you must:
- Have minimum of MSc. degree
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships, be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (sample is included in the application form); OR
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships; be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India (see sample Acceptance Letter that can be downloaded below or included in the application form). N.B. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s), and NOT to DBT.
- Provide a research proposal outline based on the format of the sample that can be downloaded below.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
MORE SCHOLARSHIPS ABROAD | CHECK NOW
Study-In-Singapore: 2023 Nanyang Technological University Scholarships For International Students
Study-In-Colombia: 2023 WHO/TDR Postgraduate Scholarship for Developing Countries
Study-In-UK: 2023 UWE Bristol Chancellors Scholarship For International Students
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The Scholarship will run for a period of 3 to 5 years
- The scholarship provides stipend, food, and health insurance for the fellows
- The fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Application Form
- Acceptance Letter
- Reference letters
- Academic transcripts
- Evidence of proficiency in English (if medium of education was not English)
Method of Application
Submitting your application;
- The opening date of the call is: 15 June 2022.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 15 September 2022.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Applications for the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships (only if already registered for a PhD in the HOME country) applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the university sends a signed copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” on institutional headed paper to TWAS (see sample form).
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from an Indian biotechnology institution to TWAS when applying online. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and SIGNED by the referee. The subject line must contain the name DBT/PG/ and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Should you have applied to or availed any Indian fellowships (especially INSA JRD TATA and JNCASR-CICS) in the current or previous year this must be clearly specified in the application form.
Results of the fellowship selection should be available toward the end of 2022 or early 2023, and selected candidates will be able to start their fellowship NO earlier than beginning of 2023.
Deadline: September 15, 2022
Receive Scholarship Updates through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: Scholarship Region WhatsApp
- Facebook: Scholars Region
- Twitter: @scholarsregion
- Telegram: Scholarship Region