Applications are invited for the Fully-Funded University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program from African scholars to study in the United States of America.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
Several other scholarships are available in the United States, Germany, United Kingdom and Canada that offers full scholarships and monthly allowances. Here are some suggestions you should check out;
- 2022 Florida State University Scholarship for Postgraduate Students to study in USA | offers Full Scholarships and $29,000 annual stipend.
- 2023 National Taiwan University for International Students to study in China | offers Full Scholarships and $12,000 annual stipends
- 2022 University of Lausanne UNIL Masters Scholarships for International Students to study in Switzerland | offers Full Scholarships and $20,000 annual stipends
- Host Country: USA
- Category: Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: African Countries
- Full Sponsorship
- Living Stipend
- Round-trip airfare
- Research cost
- Health care
- Office/Laboratory space
- Deadline: October 15, 2022
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
University of Michigan welcome direct applications from faculty members of colleges or universities from Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, Uganda, and other African countries.
Applicants from other countries in Africa cannot apply directly to UMAPS but need to be nominated by a University of Michigan faculty member with whom they already have an established relationship.
Starting in 2020, the program will host two cohorts per year (August through December, and January through May). Applicants will have the opportunity to indicate their preference for a particular cohort during the application process.
Scholars are paired with a faculty mentor during their stay and have full access to UM’s resources to further their work on a research project, an academic degree, a new course, a grant proposal, or other relevant activity. The program supports the development of the next generation of African scholars and seeks to help their home institutions build capacity. Individuals may apply for a two-month, four-month, or six-month residency.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp
To be considered for the UM Scholars Program, you must:
- Not be a previous recipient of the UMAPS fellowship
- Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, and who is presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be employed in an ongoing position at a university or college in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from a home institution with a letter of recommendation from the head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to remain in residence for five months
MORE SCHOLARSHIPS ABROAD | CHECK NOW
Study-In-Canada: 2023 McGill University McCall MacBain Scholarships for International Students
Study-In-US: 2023 John Carroll University Merit Scholarships for International Students
Study-In-Canada: 2023 Toronto School of Management (TSoM) Scholarship For International Students
Duration and Reward
- The Scholar Program period will run between two and six months.
- Four to six months residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, paired with a faculty mentor with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free housing, and a modest stipend to cover living, health care, and research costs while at UM. The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the UM community
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Application Form to be completed online
- Research proposal (not more than five pages)
- Letter of Recommendation/Support
- Details of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support
- Letter of endorsement (only for applicants from outside Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, and Uganda)
A multidisciplinary faculty committee at the University of Michigan will review and select candidates. Selection will be based on the following:
- Academic quality of the candidate and of the proposed program of scholarship
- Academic fit of the candidate with others selected in the cycle-and with the areas of interest described above
- Support of the candidate’s home institution
- Strong emphasis will be given to candidates from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Promotion of gender equity in the current class of scholars and in the African academy will also be given strong consideration
Method of Application
To apply, interested applicants should complete the online application form and upload all the required documents using the link below.
Deadline: October 15, 2022
Receive Scholarship Updates through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: Scholarship Region WhatsApp
- Facebook: Scholars Region
- Twitter: @scholarsregion
- Telegram: Scholarship Region