The UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship aims to build the capacity of early career researchers (ECRs) in Africa to undertake and disseminate research in population and development issues.
The Union for African Population Studies (UAPS) contribute to producing a critical mass of highly skilled, locally-trained scholars in research and policy engagement across Africa, a cohort of 20 ECRs will be selected in 2023.
The fellowship aims to build the capacity of early career researchers
(ECRs) in Africa to undertake and disseminate research in population and
development issues, while offering them the opportunity to showcase their research on highly visible platforms such as regional conferences and in peer-reviewed journals including the Journal of African Population Studies
To be considered for the UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship:
- An African and holds permanent residence in any African country
- Doctoral Candidates conducting research on population and development issues in Africa including Family Planning (FP), Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), Gender Equality. The fellowship will also sponsor 2 to 3 candidates interested who are interested in mathematical modelling as applied to FP/SRH and gender equality.
- A paid up UAPS member (click on registration link here to become a member)
- Female applicants including those who have had a career break are strongly encouraged to apply
Duration and Reward
- Training, focusing on research design, research methods, data collection and analysis, scientific writing, grant writing, how to publish, as well as mathematical modelling.
- A grant of up to $2,000 for an approved research project on FP and/or SRHR and gender equality issues in Africa.
- Networking and linkages to mentors in research institutions in the field of population and development.
- Opportunity to participate in the African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) internship program after theUAPS fellowship.
- Assistance on paper submissions to conferences such as those organized by UAPS, International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP,) Population Association of
America (PAA) and other relevant seminars.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Proof of citizenship or permanent residence in Africa.
- A motivation letter stating interest to participate in this programme.
- An up-to-date resume with a full list of educational and professional activities.
- Two recommendation letters with referees’ contact details. At least one of the letters of recommendation should come from a faculty member and/or dissertation advisor or supervisor with strong knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance.
- Up to 3 pages concept note of your proposed research project on FP/SRH and gender equality issues in Africa.
- A budget and its narrative.
- A fully completed application form must be submitted in English or French. The form, together with program information can be found on the UAPS website (www.uaps-uepa.org).
Method of Application
All required documents should be compiled and submitted as one PDF document titled with the candidate’s surname followed by “AfRes-Data Fellowship application”. Any questions on the programme should be directed to the fellowship’s website.